Spring is around the corner, and with that comes warmer weather, which usually means backyard BBQ’s with family and friends. One of the big BBQ dishes in my household (other than ribs and brisket of course) is definitely the BBQ chicken. Growing up, we would have chicken breasts, thrown on the grill and covered with a smokey, yet sweet BBQ sauce. It was so good that we must have had them twice a month from May until early September (when it’s been known to snow in CO once in awhile).
These days, I don’t eat chicken breasts all that often. I’ve never been a huge fan of white meat anyway, but now that I eat more fat for my epilepsy health, I can’t think of a better reason to enjoy whole chicken legs with the bone in and skin on. After all, that’s where the flavor lives.
Now I really wish I could take credit for the cooking method of these, but that all goes to my friends Bill and Hayley from Primal Palate. They showed me this method for chicken thighs way back when we visited them last June and let me just say, I’ve been using this method for chicken thighs ever since.
The only difference is that I wanted to add some Peach BBQ sauce from my friends at Steve’s Club to the chicken. So, in order to avoid burning in the oven, I baked the chicken most of the way with just salt and pepper on it and with 10 minutes to go, I added a liberal coat of sauce to each leg and finished baking. This caramelized the sauce but didn’t burn it. And it tasted AMAZING.
I was amazed at the restraint that Atlas showed while I was shooting these bad boys. Even though he looks like he could care less about the chicken, he diligently followed me around the house and the backyard while I had them on a plate, just hoping for one of three things:
- I would share some with him willingly
- Any little morsel of food would fall to the floor so he could vacuum it up
- He could sneak over while I wasn’t paying attention and steal any food he could
None of these happened for him unfortunately. But I was ok with that since I got to eat it instead.
Just like with my Smoked Chicken Wings, I had a little helper for this recipe. Smith could barely contain his excitement while I shot these photos, and I managed to get him in one as well. For a 5-year-old, he sure does like a wide variety of food. It’s always high praise indeed when I can satisfy the likes of a 5-year-old boy with food. Give these chicken legs a try and you’re sure to please everyone including the kids.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
- While oven is preheating, rinse chicken legs with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season chicken legs with salt and pepper and place on a sheet pan with a rack insert.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and baste liberally with Peach BBQ Sauce. Return chicken back to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- When finished, remove chicken from oven and let rest 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****