A few weeks ago my friends Stacy and Matt from Paleo Parents contacted me (and several other paleo bloggers) to try and paleo-ify some meals from the Chinese chain, PF Chang’s. Sort of like a virtual dinner party of sorts. Since I already have a Beef and Broccoli post from the Sous Vide Showdown, I wanted to try something new that I had never made before. Since Mu Shu Pork hadn’t been taken by any of the other bloggers, I decided to give that one a shot.
An additional challenge to this dish would be that I had never had Mu Shu before (I was always more of a sesame chicken kind of guy) so I had to really research what went into this dish. This included making my own paleo version of Hoisin Sauce as well. I must say, it came out amazing. This is definitely something that I will make on a regular basis.
- 1/2 lb pork shoulder cut into thin strips
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp paleo soy sauce
- 5 wood ears
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup lard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 1 cup shredded bamboo shoots
- ½ purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup green onions, shredded
- In a small mixing bowl, combine white wine vinegar, sesame oil and paleo soy sauce to make a marinade.
- Add sliced pork to marinade and thoroughly coat. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- While pork is marinating, soak wood ears in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Break off any hard stems and julienne wood ears.
- Heat wok over medium heat and scramble eggs with a pinch of salt and 1 tbs lard.
- Remove eggs and shred into thin strips and set aside.
- Return wok to high heat and add remaining lard.
- Stir fry garlic until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add pork shreds and stir fry another 2 minutes.
- Remove pork using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add hoisin sauce to wok and stir fry 1 minute
- Add bamboo shoots, cabbage, carrot, and wood ears to wok and stir fry 5 minutes.
- Add salt, chicken stock, pork and eggs and mix well for about a minute.
- Serve immediately
If you want to check out the round up in it’s entirety you can check it out at the Paleo Parents site here.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****Help Send Us to Paleo f(x)!