Since we won that Le Crueset French Oven in Robb Wolf’s holiday recipe contest earlier this year, I’ve been really getting into braising things, especially in the last month or so. I’ve made the Southern Style Braised Greens on average of once a week easily (doesn’t hurt that there’s plenty of bacon in there). Today I decided to give short ribs a try. I didn’t want to do anything too fancy so essentially I just put the makings of a good bone broth (minus the water) in there and decided to create a nice rich bone broth while the short ribs braised.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a large oven safe pot or preferably cast iron french oven, saute onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in bacon fat until onion carmelizes.
- Add and sweat tomato paste for about 2 min.
- Fold tomato paste into onion mixture. Let mixture cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add red wine to pot and deglaze, scooping up any brown bits.
- Let wine reduce by half then add beef stock.
- Place short ribs in pot and add fresh herbs, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Cover, and place in preheated oven.
- Braise for 3-3½ hours, turning short ribs every 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and strain braising liquid to make a sauce.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****Help Send Us to Paleo f(x)!